According to O Jogo via the Metro. Athletico Paranaense president Mario Celso Petraglia has confirmed Arsenal are interested in signing Bruno Guimaraes but may wait until the summer to submit an offer.
Guimaraes joined Paranaense from Audax in 2018 and has racked up almost 90 appearances for the Brazilian outfit to help them win the Copa de Brazil last year while he’s also been capped at U23 level by Brazil.
The defensive midfielder has attracted interest from top European clubs with the report suggesting that Arsenal, Chelsea and Benfica are among those to have sent scouts to watch him in action in recent months.
Paranaense president Mario Celso Petraglia has confirmed Arsenal are showing a keen interest in signing Guimaraes but suggests we will only formalise our interest with an offer towards the end of the season.
However, that delay could cost Arsenal the player’s signature as Petraglia also says Benfica have already tabled a firm bid which will be considered by the Paranaense board.
Petraglia told the newspaper version of O Jogo via the Metro:
“Yes it’s true. Yesterday came the official offer from Benfica to sign Bruno Guimaraes.
“Let’s study Benfica’s offer. On Monday we will meet the club board to assess this situation.
“Arsenal are interested, but will only make an offer towards the end of the season.”
Mikel Arteta is being urged to strengthen the squad this month as Arsenal currently sit 10th in the Premier League table and 11 points off the top four following a disastrous first half to the season.
A new defensive midfielder could be on the agenda as Granit Xhaka has been linked with a move away from the club and it appears we’ve identified Guimaraes as a potential replacement for the summer.
Our interest in the South American may stem from Arsenal’s Brazilian technical director Edu – who has strong ties in his home country – but it appears Arsenal are in danger of missing out if we don’t formalise our interest this month.
However, that’s unlikely as Arteta has limited funds to work with in January and his priority should be to strengthen the defence with Calum Chambers ruled out for up to nine months with a serious knee injury.